Thursday, December 14, 2006

Life and Texas Hold 'Em: Overview

I did not imagine that my inbox would be bombarded with so many kudos and accolades for this series. Not since my fighting prime in Tokyo, when I submitted Don "The Predator" Frye in rear naked choke, have the cheers/cyber-cheers for P.D. "Bo" Steed been so loud.

It seems there is a hunger for knowledge about poker--and, let's be candid, life--that has my fan base in a tizzy. This, in turn, has caused a number of (assuming I am getting real pictures) not unattractive female correspondents to inquire about the possibility of some very "personal" poker lessons. To stem the rising tide of these prurient emails, I feel compelled to make explicit the same message I have sent to more than a handful of similarly assertive coeds here at The Law School: with the demands on my time from Mr. Bo Jangles, my painting, my Lincoln scholarship, my anti-Heightism efforts (including a heartening spate of advocacy marches and candle light vigils)--and now my training and focus upon the upcoming World Series of Poker, I simply do not have time for liasons of any kind, whether "dangerous" or not.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but perhaps the frisky likes of Major X or Captain Fritters have time for poker bimbos. I am afraid I do not.

In any event, let me give a short overview to orient my readers to the lessons involved in this series on Life and Texas Hold 'Em.

Texas Hold 'Em is nothing more than a series of poker hands, and every hand of cards can be broken down into three stages: Stage One is the period before the hand is played; Stage Two is the period while the hand is being played; and Stage Three is the period after the hand is played.

Likewise, life is nothing more than a series of difficult choices, and every choice can broken down into three stages: Stage One is the period before the choice is made; Stage Two involves executing or acting upon those choices; and Stage Three involves the time after a choice is made.

To conclude today's overview, here is a question for the more philosophically minded of my SAGE fellows, assuming one of them can find his or her way to a keyboard between now and the time President Obama is sworn in: does the fact that one cannot control the cards he is dealt eliminate responsibility for the way those same cards are played?

1 Comments:

Blogger Major X said...

Stage One: You reject Bimbo flow and redirect.

Stage Two: I welcome said Bimbos with open arms.

Stage Three: It becomes very, very clear, why it's good to be Major X.

X

12/14/2006 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home