Friday, December 22, 2006

In Praise of Leonard Cohen, In Praise of 2007

Many times, as I am painting, I listen to the genius that is Leonard Cohen.

Perhaps it is Cohen's nearly toxic mix of the melancholy and the poetic that draws me in. I have been told that my paintings have a similar air of poetic sadness about them. Perhaps his gravel filled voice, not unlike my own, helps gives me my artistic voice. Perhaps the fact that we are both just over 5'5" makes us naturally kindred spirits.

Perhaps, alas, and especially during this time of year, I am just some Joseph looking for a manger.

I realize my life has been nothing if not a continuing trajectory toward excellence, and would not change that life a whit. This is one effect of reading Aristotle, and taking him seriously. I realize many of my fans envy the life I have led, what with the fawning admiration of young coeds, a fighting record nearly unblemished, a body of scholarship unparalleled, and my ongoing and increasingly successful fight against the social injustice.

The only thing missing from my storybook life is, it sometimes seems, a famous blue raincoat torn at the shoulder.

In a spirit of candor, I must admit that Christmas and New Year's holidays always sadden me just abit. Having grown up an orphan, I have no family but the faithful Mr. Bo Jangles. Having lived a life so many do in fact envy, making "friends" has never been easy. Unless I am in the Octagon, most of my activities are solitary pursuits.

I readily acknowledge that it is hard to hold the hand of anyone who is reaching for the sky just to surrender.

But do think of me, my SAGE fellows, as you revel with your families and friends through the year end holidays. Use my example, perhaps, as your inspiration for your New Year's resolutions. Tip your glass in my lonely direction, remembering, always, that the rain falls down on the works of last year's man.

I shall return in 2007.

3 Comments:

Blogger Major X said...

"all of us in the gutter; some of us looking at the stars". Chrissie Hynde.

You and me my friend; our motto. Never surrender!

Again I offer my advice Bo although I doubt there is little chance that you will take it. Those coeds can be mighty comforting in these, our times of need. I know I will be trusting my spirits to a young state department translator I had the delightful occasion to serve with recently in Ven....ah, never you mind about the location. Lovely eyes, pert breasts and a certain moral flexibility that can make for a charming holiday season.

Ho ho ho!

X

12/22/2006 6:38 PM  
Blogger Bo Steed said...

Major: you and I will simply have to agree to disagree about taking advantage of the opposite sex. I am afraid my libido has less control over the course my life than yours does yours.

By the way, I want to thank you for the Scotch, and the thought behind it. I am afraid on Christmas Eve I may have had abit more than my usual two fingers' worth, and consequently spilled some on my hardwood floor of my painting studio. Of course, Mr. Bo Jangles immedietely lapped the spill up before I could find a mop, and, consequently, suffered from a hangover all Christmas day.

12/26/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Major X said...

Bo,

You're most welcome. My young translator friend found your gift to me under the tree on Christmas morning and insisted that we open it. Ultimate Fighting Highlights From 2006 and the CD of The Collected Works of Ayn Rand as read by Sally Rand (Artists Read by Artist Series)was a most interesting combination.

Somewhat unpredictablly, my companion insisted that we watch the fighting compilation video while enjoying a momentary respite from our more physically challenging activities. I must say that it did have a unexpected impact on the tenor of the remainder of our day. For me, the sight of overly muscled men beating each other to a pulp was not exactly arousing. My companion, on the other hand, found the whole thing quite exhilarating, and well, one thing led to another and I found myself........how to put this......ah, yes, quite restrained for the remainder of the day.

So thanks, I think.

X

12/29/2006 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home